8.07.2005

Busyness...

Man, the time really flies in between blog entries. It seemed like yesterday when I last posted, but actually its been like a week and a half. Anyway, I can attribute at least part of the delay to being pretty busy this weekend.

When we first moved here, given that we didn't really know anyone in Denver, I figured we might as well plan on doing some cool stuff to entertain us while we're out here. The first was on Friday when we saw Brian Regan, a truly hilarious comedian who had us doubled over in laughter the entire night. Rob and Bruce would certainly agree that I know what I'm talking about with this guy. This was second time we'd seen him and he used almost entirely new material. I won't even try to ruin one of his bits by typing it, but he is the man. I highly recommend him, and he is going to DC in November for all you northern Virginia people.

The second big activity was a golf tournament. The International at Castle Pines was played this weekend and we went all day on Saturday. For those who think golf is sort of lame, you may want to skip down a bit as you might not care at all about this next part. We really embraced the "following" approach at the tournament (following a certain group, as opposed to staying in one place and watching all the golfers go by). We followed one group for their last 9 holes in the morning that included Reteif Goosen who ended up winning the whole tournament. Then in the afternoon, we followed Phil Mickelsonm, probably the most famous golfer at the tournament, for his entire 18 hole round. This equated to about 6.5 miles of walking hilly terrain in the sun, but as a golf fan it was a blast for me. Most of the golfers we watched played really well, and Mickelson hit a 420 yard drive on one whole (the thin air helps)! I can't think of any other sporting event that you can get as close up to the "action" (it is golf after all) with just a general admission ticket. Even with the biggest following of the tournament, we were able to get within a few feet of Mickelson several times throughout the day. It was really cool and I'll definitely do it again some time.

Our final business is that we have actually met some people out here to do stuff with. We found a group that plays volleyball a lot, and we went today for the second time. Its fun because most of the people are good enough to keep a good game going, but not so good that Sarah and I feel stupid playing with them. If we keep this up for a while, the beach week crew may have to watch out for our new mad volleyball skizzels (editors note: I had a really hard time coming up with the spelling of skizzles/skizzels, if you happen to know feel free to correct me).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you want to do something cool, why not go to Casa Bonita!!

Mike D said...

Hmmm, I wonder who wrote that comment...I think he has fancy and socks in his name some where ;) I'll bump up its priority in my short list of things to do.