3.11.2008

Top of the Mountain...

Yesterday was the day we conquered the mountain...Bruce, Dave, and I went to the top of Breckenridge today. I'd like to chart out what we did because it was an amazing day on the mountain, and I was able to do a lot of terrain that I haven't done before.

Even if you have been to Breck, the rest of the entry will be a little hard to follow unless you have a map. I highlighted the Breck map with all the trails and lifts we took, so that you might have a chance at understanding the next paragraph.



After the walk from our rental house to the mountain and a painfully slow lift ride, we ended up on Peak 9 and did a warm-up run (I went on American, I think Bruce and Dave went down Gold King). We then started toward our final destination. We headed down Volunteer and then down Shock to catch the Peak 8 Super Connect at the mid-load station. We did a quick run on Frosty's Freeway to Chair 6. Then it was now or never to the Imperial Lift up to the top of Peak 8. What a view! It was an unusually warm and clear day. The temp at the bottom of the mountain was near 40, and at the top, a balmy 25. Bruce did the final hike up to the very top, while Dave and I did a run down the Imperial Bowl (I have to give props to Bruce for doing the final hike up, I didn't have the energy and we didn't really know how we were going to get down from there). Dave and I did a second run down Imperial Bowl, and fortuitously met up with Bruce. We headed up the Imperial Lift to the top again. Our plan was to ski down the ridge line and head into the North Bowl, but that area was mostly closed. We ended up heading down Pika, then through a tree section and down Northstar all the way down to the base. What a run! Looking back up to the top where we just were was incredible, especially thinking that we hadn't been on a lift for a long time. We ended the day doing some of the Peak 8 Blacks that I'd never done before. We survived and headed back home triumphant.

Here is the top of the mountain in the distance from one of the lifts:



At the bottom of the Imperial Express lift looking up:



Dave and I at the elevation sign:



Bruce on the very top:

3 comments:

Jeremy said...

Awesome! Bruce definitely gets to keep his man card. Your's and Dave's has a small ding in it for not hiking to the very top, but a good effort all around! I'm glad you guys finally got up to the top after all these trips.

Should I join you all in the future, I will definitely be at the top of peak 8 during the trip. Probably towards the end of the week so you guys can carry my broken body on the plane back home.

Mike P said...

I have to second Jeremy on this one. Bruce, I'll buy you a beer sometime. Mike and Dave, perhaps you should look into interior decorating.

Mike D said...

Man, tough crowd...you do remember that Dave hiked the entire Appalachian Trail right??