4.12.2006

A Farewell to Skiing....

It was interesting when it finally hit me - "I don't want to go skiing anymore." Skiing is available, but I would rather do other things with my free time. It reminded me (of course) of a Simpsons quote:

"What's happening to me? There's still food, but I don't want to eat it. I've become everything I've ever hated!" -- Homer Simpson

I don't think I've quite became everything I've ever hated, but knowing that I won't have this opportunity next year..its tough not to go. On the other hand, its also tough to think about skiing as the temperatures turn to near 80 degrees for most of the week. I'm sure I'm not getting anyone's sympathy with my complaint about TOO MUCH skiing, but I promise you'll only have to hear about it for a little longer.

Skiing in Colorado
A look back at the 2006 Ski Season

Part I: The stats

Number of resorts visited: 5 (Brecekenridge, A Basin, Keystone, Vail, and Copper Mountain)
Number of times skied: 23 for Mike, 19 for Sarah
Number of trails skied at Breck: I could only count 52 (out of their total of 147). It seemed like I had done more than that but there are a ton of blacks and double blacks (and some greens) I never got to.
Number of times snowboarded: 1 for Mike, 1 for Sarah
Number of times fell while skiing: ~30 for Mike, ~15 for cautious Sarah
Number of times fell while snowboarding: At least 50 each(including two minor injuries)

Part II: The Pictures






Solitude at Breck
Sarah at Vail

Snow Diving

Sarah with Giant Mound of Snow
Mike at Vail
1st Time Snowboarders


Part III: The Lessons

Breckenridge starting as number one and certainly ended up as our favorite resort. We tried snowboarding with fun but relatively painful results. I never got to try shirtless snow diving (jumping into the snow, then back in the hot tub), but I'm not sure that having skin that feels on fire is a sensation I want to have. We never really got the hang of moguls, but we did venture on several different black diamonds. We learned never to forget your facemask on a January lift ride. We had a great time this season, and with that I bid skiing farewell...for this year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is that Erik with the Mohawk?! Why didn't he let me know? I would have gotten one with him!