3.24.2006

March Madness...

Even though this year has probably been the least amount of college basketball I have watched in years, March Madness has instantly sucked me back in. First off, thanks to Traci for organizing a ESPN pool again (although of course she's winning again). You can check out my bracket here. I didn't really get that much time to think about it due to the ski trip the week prior, which may have been good because it's usually best just to go with your gut.

Let me describe the events of Thursday to give you a good picture of how awesome March Madness can be...

Get home from work, immediately turn on the Duke-LSU game (now that I'm used to them, 5:00 MT start times work out pretty well). Although this was by all accounts a pretty ugly game for both teams, I was getting quite a kick out of LSU's defense really frustrating Duke and their star player JJ. When LSU finally won, not only was I happy to watch Duke choke its way to another early tournament exit, but I also picked LSU in this game to beat Duke (double score).

Next up the tournament for the winter session of Sarah and I's indoor volleyball league. We finished second during the regular season and "got invited" to the big dance. After a tough first round bye, and struggling (but still winning) in the semi-finals. We went out to face the #1 seed in the championship match. Luckily, we really turned it on and won two close games to take the title. Although it wasn't that great of a league, its still nice to win.

We actually made it back home right before the end of the UCLA-Gonzaga game, and I got to watch Gonzaga blow the rest of my bracket (I had them all the way to the final game) by somehow losing at the end. Thus is life in March Madness, you make one good (lucky) pick but then get burned by another, unless your name is Traci...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I'm just that good... but actually, I'll get 2nd place if UCLA wins the whole thing. One of "the twins" (our new roommates, who both went to UCLA) is in the pool, and she'll come back from 15th place for the win if the Bruins pull it off. I, on the other hand, am rooting for an LSU-GMU final - a showdown between the current 11 seed in the Final Four, and the last 11 seed to make it there (1986, I think). Hooray for basketball!

Mike D said...

You and even apparently Cassie are unstoppable. I didn't even notice the UCLA thing, I though everyone's PPR went to zero when Nova lost. I agree, a LSU-Mason final would be entertaining and even a little ironic