6.19.2006

The New Place...

As I alluded to in the last post, we have a new place to live. You can find it about here,


just south of Herndon off of Sunrise Valley Drive.

The apartment searching seemed like it took forever, mainly because the first four places we talked to had zero availability close to the time frame we needed it. It was interesting to look back at how our emotions affected the whole decision process. The first place we found that actually had an apartment available, seemed so great at the time because we were getting so desperate (even though it wasn't all that nice). Then, by the time we got to the last place at the end of the day, we were getting so tired that we didn't even give it a chance. At that point we sat down at a Starbucks, laid everything out and decided on Woodland Park Apartments.

Even though its only been a year, life will certainly be different than the last time we lived in Virginia. Many friends have moved on (or soon will move on) to other parts of the country. But, we've had a lot of good practice meeting new ones this past year. We are certainly a lot further away from "the action" in Arlington, but I'm not sure that we necessarily want to be that close to "the action" anyway. I'm not sure I even know what I mean by "the action," but apparently it deserves quotation marks, which means it must be cool. Looking at this map of coolness index (I was having too much fun with Google Earth), we are now sitting right smack of the middle of the not so cool zone.
I guess now we'll treat going out to Arlington/ Alexandria just like going from Arlington to DC before (Jumping two coolness zones in one night is a big step). We'll have to depend on our remaining friends in Arlington to keep this married couple in the burbs hip. Despite the loss of coolness, we did get a place that is a lot cheaper, a lot nicer, and a lot closer to work; so I think we're pretty happy with our choice.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not only do I live in the cool zone, I live right in the middle of the cool zone.

Neato.

Anonymous said...

I would argue that while you may be west of "The Coolest" and "Pretty Cool" zones of Arlington (which I manage to spend a majority of my workday in and therefore do not believe it to be that cool), you map should be updated to reflect that you are now CLOSER to the "alternate coolest" zone or "zone of majority cool" that is Loudoun County VA.

Why drive DOWN to the middle of the cool zone when you can drive UP to that which is above cool (which I suppose is hot?)

ok...clearly enough use of cool. Can't wait to have you guys around!

Anonymous said...

I was about to point out that Loudoun isn't even included on your map, but I see it has been FULLY addressed by Jeremy. I'm really excited that you'll be twice as close to us, and that visiting won't involve 66 or the Beltway (though it was the joining of the two that was the real problem). Your new place is only about 5 miles from my office; I see lunch dates in our future...

Anonymous said...

NoVa was so two years ago.

Mike D said...

Loudoun, its so hot right now, Loudoun... so hot I that couldn't even fit it on the map.

Yes Penrock, Sarah and I already forecasting based on current trends that we will have to move down to Atlanta in 1.9 years.

Anonymous said...

I believe the map is based on previous B and B party locations, but if the Party is moved Westward the coolness is sure to follow. In fact, your place could possibly become the epicenter of coolness . . .