2.19.2006

Brrrr...

So last Friday afternoon, after a long week at work, I stepped outside my office and was smacked in the face with a 2 degree temperature and a 10 mph wind. You know its cold when it feels like your sinuses are freezing within a few minutes of being outside. There were record cold temps this weekend in Denver, somewhat strange given the fact that 60 degree weather was not unusual in January and early February. It dropped to about -12 Friday night, and we were greeted with a power outage Saturday morning. Apparently demand was so high that the local energy company had to perform rolling 30 minute blackouts across the entire Denver metro area.

Editor's Note: Recently I posted a comment to Rob's blog on the fact that Colorado winter like DC's isn't very consistent. Subsequent to this post, DC winter attacked Rob with 8+ plus inches of snow...and now Colorado winter takes a shot at me. I guess I'm flattered that the forces of nature take an interest in this and Rob's blog.

It's amazing how quickly my usual penchant for going out and doing stuff disappeared when it's that cold. Also due to the fact that Sarah and I were both getting over some minor illnesses, it was a relatively quiet weekend. Luckily, extended Olympic coverage provided Sarah and I with some of the magic of Curling. It was interesting for a while, just trying to figure out what's going on. Eventually, as you might guess, it gets a tad bit boring when they get to round 8 of 10. I figure if this whole engineering rotation program doesn't work out, I can always learn to sweep ice in front of large stone...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Meanwhile, Matt and I were enjoying our wonderful 70 degree weather in January (woo-hoo), when we decided to take a trip back up to DC for the weekend. Man, did DC ever welcome us back with a huge dump of snow! After many flight delays, we are happy to say that we are back in warm NC (66 degrees today).